Thursday, May 24, 2012

Thrift Store Adventures!

As has been my past couple days, my day was filled with scouring every thrift store I could find for things that fit my "vision" for my redesigning/finishing of some of the rooms in my house. Oh, and spending four hours in my car with Caitlin as we drove to the farthest possible part of the Park City-ish area to pick up a bookshelf that I bought from a guy off of KSL. I would tell you more, but that's a whole post on it's own! It was quite an entertaining day, truth be told, even though I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off for most of it. My thrift store adventures of the day were as follows:

1) Savers- I seriously looked like crazy person, putting things in my cart, then deciding against it and putting them back, then putting more things in my cart, then deciding against them and putting them back too. I eventually came out of Savers empty handed. That's ok though, cause I pretty much cleaned out the Layton Savers yesterday, which incidentally has way better stuff and way better prices (consistently) than the Ogden Savers.

2) Tuesday Morning (not really a "thrift" store, but discounted)- I love and hate this store all at the same time. Because things are discounted so much it feels like everything is a good deal, but then you look at the amount of money you'll be spending on the few items you have in your hand and you realize, sometimes it's still too expensive. Especially when I have resolved to now never spending more than $10 on anything (and it better be pretty dang good to even be worth $10.. hahaha). So while I was here I picked out four or five different one panel packages of curtains and then decided against all of them. I had a good time entertaining myself with all of the crazy stuff they have in there though. It's a "Christmas Figurine" collector's heaven. I kid you not.

3) Big Deal Outlet- I am soooo tempted to spend far too much money at this store. Seriously. It's a great place. And there were neon colored converse there today... Don't worry... I resisted temptation. But it was hard. Although I was tempted to buy a little bit of everything they had there, especially the cookies, I resisted and came out with two mason jars for a project for my bathroom. I was really excited cause all of my mason jars are the wrong size and there weren't any at Layton Savers, Ogden Savers, Layton DI, or Ogden DI. I know.... surprising right??? My little mason jars cost me a $1.50 all together. I am very pleased :)

4) Pennies for Pets Thrift Store- No I am not kidding about the name. Though this little store was somewhat junky and didn't have much to offer, I hung around for quite a while. This was because of an adorable kitten that was there. Just wandering around the store! This thrift store takes all of the money that they make and gives it to the animal shelter or to the help of finding animals homes and foster parents and such. That's pretty adorable if you ask me. I guess they had a bunch (and by a bunch I mean 19) kittens just dropped off at the store to be put up for adoption and such and the little one following me around the store was the only one that didn't get adopted or taken into a foster home. I held it and played with it and wanted to take it home SO BAD. Seriously. And though it nearly killed me, I eventually left the store without the kitten, broken hearted. I really was so sad. I still kind of am. I love cats. I thought it in the kitten's best interest to let someone else take it in, though, cause I was afraid Cooper would kill it. Not on purpose of course, Cooper just loves little things that squeak... yeah.....

5)  Doug's Trade Post- I can't believe I have never been in this store before. Honestly, it isn't much to look at on the outside... or the inside... I almost drove right past it without even noticing it...  and there really isn't much of a selection or any items that would draw people in... but the old man that owns the store is a gem. After greeting me when I walked in he sat down in a rocking chair (that was for sale) and dozed off. I wandered around the shop looking at all of the random things he had collected, and probably traded, over the years. He didn't move or make a sound for a good 20 minutes while I looked. I happened upon some cute little glazed ceramic (or something like it) birds that I thought would go beautifully in my bathroom and decided it was time to wake him. I woke him as gently as I could and asked him how much the three birds I had picked out were. He said he'd give me all three for $5! SOLD! When I got up to the counter I realized that there wasn't a register... He had a cash box, and nothing else. I asked if he only accepted cash and checks and he said that was right. I told him I would have to come back for the birds after I had gone to an ATM (duh, I should have cash on me if I'm going thrift shopping. You never know if those old places have electricity or not lol) so that I could pay for them. He handed me the bag that he had carefully wrapped and placed the birds in and said, "You can take them now. Just get me the $5 when you can. I trust you." He then smiled at me, winked, and sat back down in the chair. I thanked him probably around 10 times and promised him even more times than that that I would bring him the money as soon as I could get to an ATM. He did nothing but smile and say, "I'm not worried." I hurried over to the gas station, got some cash, and came back. He had already dosed off by the time I came back and I had to wake him again to give him the money. He gave me a big smile and said, "You didn't have to hurry to get it to me." I told him that it was no problem and thanked him again before leaving. What a sweet man. I am so grateful for people like him. Honestly, I was a little nervous to wake him at first... He looked like he could have been one of those "Carl Fredrickson," "Get off my porch you kids," kind of old guys. But he was nothing of the sort. Not only did he make my day with giving me the birds at such a great price, but he brightened my day by being so kind and by placing trust in me without even knowing me. That is an uncommon, and sadly sometimes foolish, thing to do these days. I am grateful that I was able to keep his trust and fulfill my end of the deal.

All in all, it was a good day of thrift store shopping. I am excited to put all of the finds that I have gathered over the past week together in my house. Pictures to come!

No comments: