Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I Have Never Regretted Kindness

I try to be a good person- as I think we all do- and sometimes it's easier than other times, but I feel like I'm on the right track. I don't find it hard to be nice to people, but when they have hurt me repeatedly sometimes I struggle to keep the same feelings of kindness that I had before towards them. I definitely think this is something I need to work on. I think that when I focus on the hurt I feel instead of being kind to those who have caused me pain I am being slightly selfish. I am not going to allow people to hurt me, and I do not have to spend time with those that do hurt me, but I don't have to be mean to them in return. Kindness can still be shown to them.

There are a few quotes that I have found that are partly what got me thinking about this. The first that I found came from a the most recent General Conference talk given by Henry B. Eyring. It reads:

"The joys we experience come from putting the joy of others before our own, and our sorrows come from selfishness...
Pray for the love that allows you to see the good in your companions. The love that allows you to make the mistakes and weaknesses seem small."

The next came from the same conference in a talk given by President Monson, stating:

"I have never felt any regret
for being a little too kind."

So that is my goal. I want to be kind to everyone, no matter what they have done to me. I have not had too hard of a time doing this in the past, but I have found that recently there have been people I trusted that have hurt me, and I find myself being less than kind to them occasionally. I don't want to be that type of person. So I am changing now.

No comments: